Proof of Concept Awards (PoCAs)
Call closing on 27 January 2023.
Funding Call Details:
The ImagingBioPro network has awarded 18 PoCAs to stimulate inter-disciplinary research on imaging of orthopaedic and musculoskeletal processes, with a core focus on using the UK’s Large Facilities (e.g. Diamond Light Source, ISIS Neutron Source, and the Central Laser Facilities).
The network have funding for another 1 exchange, which cover up to 2-months PDRA salary and £3500 for research consumables, travel and subsistence.
The goals of funding are:
- Stimulate new collaborations between network members
- Integrate research activity across traditional research disciplines
We are strongly focused on facilitating preliminary work to support full funding applications. All awards will be short term and used to establish new collaborations and carry out the scoping work, which will lead to future full research proposals.
We focus on projects which integrate advances in engineering and physical science technologies with the necessary life science understanding, and also encourage integration with industrial partners (see the Technology Touching Life (TTL) UKRI initiative under which we operate).
Funding is available to ImagingBioPro network members only, please join before applying.
- Funding maximum value £21k at 100% FEC per PoCA, paid at 80%, including:
- up to 2-month PDRA salary (with indirects fixed at the UCL rate of 9,931 for two months)
- up to £1500 for research consumables
- up to £2000 for travel and subsistence
- Funding is paid at 80% fEC, which goes to the PIs’ institution to manage as appropriate (under normal UKRI terms and conditions). Costings must be approved by the PIs’ academic institution and full financial reporting made as per UKRI requirements.
- Applications must be interdisciplinary, involving at least two disciplines (one from the home and one from the host institute), and have clearly defined deliverables and impact.
- The applicant researcher(s) should work in the host laboratory, different to their current place of work (exceptions considered during pandemic).
- Early Career Researcher (ECR) engagement is strongly encouraged. PDRAs can be named as PI or CoI provided that they have a contract of employment with the academic institution for the duration of the grant prior to application.
- The PI must be from a UK academic institution, which can be either the ‘home’ or ‘host’ institute for the PoCA.
- PhD student involvement must follow UKRI guidelines, limiting the hours they can work. Their salary cannot be requested in project costings.
- Project must be completed, reported and invoiced by 31 March 2023.
- Please download Funding Application Form.
- Completed applications should be emailed to Imagingbiopro@gmail.com and use the subject header: “PoCA3 Application - Name - Institution”
- Application deadline: 27 January 2023.
- A decision will be announced early February 2023.
- For more info please read: Funding Guidance for Applicants.
The applications will be judged on their fit to the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence
- Fit to Technologies Touching Life remit
- Involvement of early career researchers
- At least one academic partner or a UKRI funded partner (ie. Large facilities).
- Clear future impacts
- Likelihood to lead to further funding
All publications arising from these exchanges should acknowledge the MRC/EPSRC/BBSRC ImagingBioPro grant (MR/R025673/1). (E.g. state "This work was funded in part by the MRC/EPSRC/BBSRC ImagingBioPro grant MR/R025673/1").
See previous call here.